Master Upgrade Course June 1, 2, 3 Bethpage, NY (click for info)
Quantity in Basket:
SORRY, THIS CLASS IS FULL, BUT WE DO HAVE ANOTHER CLASS NEARBY SOON,
JUST CHOOSE ANOTHER CLASS FROM THE LEFT!
| This course will run as follows:
Friday June 1, 6-10PM
Saturday and Sunday June 2 & 3, 8AM-6PM
This course will take place at:
Safe Boating America
423 Central Avenue
Bethpage, NY 11714
This course provides training to mariners seeking to upgrade their US Coast Guard OUPV License to Master. This is a 3-day course which upgrades the OUPV allowing you to take an unlimited number of passengers on inspected vehicles. Tonnage limitations, issued in 25-ton increments up to 100 tons, depend on your experience and sea time evaluation. As you gain experience on larger vessels, tonnage ratings can be increased up to 100 tons without re-testing. Completion of this course satisfies the classroom instruction and examination requirements listed in 46 CFR 10.910, Table 10.910-2 in lieu of taking the examinations at a US Coast Guard Regional Examination Center (REC).
The Masters Upgrade course is intended for candidates who already possess their OUPV. Note: You may complete our OUPV Course and this Master Upgrade concurrently, then submit your diplomas from both courses together to receive an initial Masters License. Students attending this course should have completed a minimum period time on the water and meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Master Inland: 360 days underway experience since age 13; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years.
- Master Inland/OUPV: 360 days underway experience since age 13; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 90 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines.
- Master Inland/Mate N.C.: 360 days underway experience since age 13; 90 days of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 180 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines.
- Master Near Coastal: 720 days underway experience since age 13; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 360 of those 720 days outside the boundary lines.
Note: A "day of sea service" is equal to 4 to 8 hours away from the dock
- Minimum age – 19 years old
- A physical exam if more than 3 years has elapsed since the last exam
- Drug test unless enrollment in a USCG required random drug program for at least 60 of the last 185 days, and did not fail or refuse to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs
- US Citizenship
This course will also be of great value to recreational skippers demanding of themselves mastery in seamanship
Some of the topics covered:
- Purchases, Blocks and Tackle
- Vessel Maneuvering and Handling
- Dragging, Clearing Fouled Anchors
- Dragging, Clearing Fouled Anchors
- Maneuvering for Launching of Lifeboats and Liferafts in Heavy Weather
- Receiving Survivors from Lifeboats and/or Liferafts
- Towing Operations
- Principles of Ship Construction
- Trim and Stability
- Firefighting, Prevention, Firefighting Appliances, Firefighting Systems
- Classes and Chemistry of Fire
- Organization of Fire Drills
- Firefighting Equip. & Regulations for T-Boats
- Emergency Procedures: Rescuing Survivors From Ship/Aircraft in Distress, Emergency Towing
- Maritime Law: Load Lines, Rules & Regulations for Inspected T-Boats, Shipment, Discharge and Manning
- Shipboard Management and Training: Ship Sanitation, Vessel Alteration and Repair Work, Safety
- Certificates and Documents Required
- Lifesaving: Survival at Sea, Lifesaving Appliance Regulations and Operations.
Whether or not you’re seeking to obtain your USCG license for work-related reasons, this training should allow mariners to receive discounts on their marine insurance and allow an individual to charter a yacht with greater ease, especially outside of U.S. Waters.
For all of the criteria for obtaining the various USCG licenses, visit USCG License Criteria
Location, dates and times subject to (pending) USCG Approval
Still have questions? Give us a call at (516) 216-4410 or contact us at the e-mail address below.
All USCG approved license training courses conducted by Safe Boating America are as a licensed independent contractor and are delivered by Zenith Maritime LLC